Let me start off by saying as a culinary student and a bartender for 5+ years I have a weird obsession with making fun beverages. As an avid Harry Potter fan I have always wanted to drink that blasted Butterbeer they always enjoyed in the book! Seriously it was wild! So i am throwing a themed Halloween party and was thinking about some fun drinks to do. I’m making everything homemade; a candy apple soda pop, candy corn martinis (rum and vodka infused with my homemade candy corn). and I needed at least one non alcoholic beverage and I decided to test the fates and make some butterbeer! I know in the books Butterbeer has a slight alcoholic content (so I bought a bottle of butterscotch schnapps in case people get picky) but I decided to do it without because it doesn’t need it. Searching through recipes online I came to a few that I thought would work. My problem was I haven’t been to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter yet so I haven’t tried the JK approved Butterbeer they serve there (I hear it is incredible!). So I had to use my imagination to create a drink I thought would work really well, please the palate of my guests and stayed true to what i believed the drink tasted like. I ended up infusing 3 recipes and adding a little bit of my own flavor to it and I was very excited! It was absolutely delicious! So I am happy to say after 6+ hours of researching, prepping, cooking and tasting this is what I came up with!!! If you guys try it and like it let me know! Also if you guys have any good Butterbeer recipes I would love to try them too!
Ckrickett’s ButterBeer Recipe!
- 1 cup dark brown sugar (you could use light but dark tastes best)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 6 Tbsp UNSALTED butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butterscotch topping
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp rum extract
- 48oz Cream Soda (I used A&W but whichever brand you prefer works)
- OPTIONAL 1/2 cup Butterscotch schnapps
Butterbeer Foam (the delicious head):
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 2 Tbsp butterbeer syrup mixture. (above recipe minus the cream soda)
Making the Butterbeer!:
- In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.( it is important to stir otherwise you can burn your sugar!!)
- Stir in the butter, butterscotch, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. (if you are doing your Mise en Place before you start cooking you can add all these ingredients together in the same bowl except for the vinegar, try to keep that separate until you are ready to combine all these ingredients to the sugar syrup)
- remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature
- mix in the rum extract (and the butterscotch schnapps if you are including that as well)
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture, the marshmallow fluff and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- TO SERVE!- To serve, divide the butterbeer syrup mix between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to ea h glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each. The cream soda might foam up so just wait 30 seconds or so for the foam to come down before putting on the whipped mixture.
NOW This is for hot Butterbeer, you can cool the syrup in the fridge and it will be nice and cold, you could also alternatively take the syrup and mix it with some vanilla ice cream and make a butterbeer milkshake! It is all up to you!